The Calgary Men’s Chorus (CMC) is searching for a new Artistic Director (AD) who will ensure that the Chorus reaches its full potential and fulfill its mission.
The Calgary Men’s Chorus currently has about 35 active singing members and operates with approximately $100K annual operating budget.
Since its formation in 1994 the Calgary Men’s Chorus has sought to broaden its audience and establish its place in the Calgary arts community while at the same time remaining an important and visible component of Calgary’s LGBT community. Among Calgary’s ~120 choruses registered with the Alberta Choral Federation, Calgary Men’s Chorus has been a major presence through our mainstage performances in Winter and Spring, as well as numerous outreach performances. The Chorus has collaborated with many other choruses in the local Calgary community, the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, as well as visiting artists garnering respect from both the Calgary music community and the larger artistic community.
The Calgary Men’s Chorus Society is a non-profit society dedicated to excellence and innovation in the performance of a broad spectrum of tenor, bass, and baritone (TTBB) choral music. We promote Canadian musicians and artists, music written by Canadian composers and arrangers, as well as queer musicians, artists, and arrangers. Through choral music we encourage a sense of community and positive self-image among the queer community and build important bridges of unity and understanding to the choral community and the greater public. The chorus is non-auditioned and is open to all who sing in TTBB voice regardless of socio-economic status, physical ability, or musical experience.
The Calgary’s Men’s Chorus Society seeks to create a safe and enjoyable space for the queer community and their friends to sing, uniting a diverse world through excellence and innovation in performance of tenor, bass, and baritone choral music.
The Artistic Director should possess a passion for the CMC’s mission and embody a true pioneering spirit in shaping an artistic vision which will define the organization’s future.
Reporting to the CMC Board, the role of the Artistic Director oversees all artistic matters, rehearsals, retreats, and programming for the Chorus. The AD should work collaboratively with the board and can embrace a range of perspectives, and musical ideas.
The Artistic Director is also expected to contribute to the Chorus’s growth by participating in fundraising and community outreach efforts.
- excellent leadership skills
- excellent communication skills
- creativity and a willingness to take risks
- willing to devote the time and energy necessary to achieve success
- ability to collaborate with a variety of artists and individuals across a broad spectrum of artistic disciplines
Qualifications and Experience:
- degree in music or equivalent conducting experience
- knowledge and comfort with a variety of musical genres
- ability to inspire singers toward continued creativity and growth
- outstanding pedagogy and understanding of vocal technique
- experience directing singers with a range of musical capabilities
Email ADSearch@calgarymenschorus.org with questions or to apply. All interested applicants should apply by email no later than May 31, 2021.
Applications should include the following:
- statement of interest (cover letter) and resume (or CV)
- professional references with contact information
- samples of past concert programs that exemplify your work
- artistic vision for the chorus for one full season (September to June)
- Optional: video samples demonstrating directing style in concert and/or rehearsal settings